Last week, a video of a couple was circulating who said their daughter was playing a game and an advert popped up – it was a video ad of a sexual nature with two men.
Also, a friend’s 7year old was on the iPad and an ad popped up that was of a sexual nature.
With our children online more, there is a need to take all precautions to keep them safe online. Beyond putting various restrictions on their phone/device you need to discuss with them various issues (sex, pornography, homosexuality, etc) in an age-appropriate manner.
When should you talk to them about Homosexuality?
Experts agree the best time to talk to your kids about pornography or homosexuality is before they actually see it. So as longs as you are giving your child a device and unsupervised access to the internet, you must have the conversation.
The reality is, if you don’t, someone else probably will – or already has. And you may not like what they have to say.
Before talking to them, first, find out what they know or have heard about homosexuals, gay or lesbians – “two men kissing or getting married”
Six things to tell your child about Homosexuality
1. Explain what it is: Start by defining various terms – man/boy, woman/girl, husband, wife, marriage, homosexual, sin, etc. Make sure your definition is age-appropriate. E.g “God made marriage to be between a man and a woman like Mummy and Daddy. But not everyone obeys God and follows His plan. So sometimes two men or two women will decide to marry. But we believe that marriage is between a husband and wife.”
2. Homosexuality is a sin: Sin is any action, feeling, or thought that goes against God’s standards. God’s standard for marriage is:” therefore, a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.” (Genesis 2:24). Also check other bible references (Leviticus 20:13, Romans 1:26 & 27, etc)
3. God doesn’t make mistakes: God is the creator of all things. He is the wisest all-knowing One. If He wanted you to be a girl, He would have created you a girl. If He wanted men and men or women and women to marry – He would have made it possible for them to have children. “So, God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” Genesis 1:27.
4. God loves you (and all Sinners) but hates sin: God loves all sinners. God loves homosexuals. God loves the sinner, but not the sin. “For God so loved the world that he sent Jesus to die for us” (John 3:16). It is important to let them see that we are all sinners and God loves everyone.
5. Homosexuality is a sin, just like lying, stealing, committing murder, etc. “Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. (1Cor6:9&10)
God does not see a “gay,” “lesbian” or “homosexual” individual. He sees men and women, made in His image, deeply marred by sin and — like all of us — desperately needing a saviour.
We must always pray for our children that they shall know the truth and the truth shall set them free. Be intentional about teaching them the Bible. Learning God’s word is an important way to ensure your children know the truth.
9ijakids is helping children learn and remember God’s word through games.. You can access over 40 fun and engaging bible games for FREE. Send a mail right now with the subject “I want FREE access” to Lola@9ijakids.com for your FREE access.