As the holiday ends, children get ready to go back to school. Yes, going back to school comes with mixed feelings for the kids but nonetheless it is an exciting time for them too as they look forward to seeing their friends. On the side of every parent, it can also be a time of relief as well as a time of fear of unforeseen circumstances or dangers. By introducing your children to some basic back to school safety tips, they become better equipped as they resume this new school term with the knowledge and skills to ensure their own safety even in your absence.
See our few tips to guide you through.
- Teach your child how to walk on sidewalks or the other side of the street facing traffic and learn to look both ways (“left, right, left”) before crossing the street. Tell him/her to avoid crossing the street in front of a parked car.
- If your child is changing school, walk the route several times with him/her before the first day of school and possibly make contacts with the parents of other children in the neighbourhood, so they can walk together.
- For children going with school bus, teach them to
- Always wait until the bus has come to a complete stop before walking towards it or getting off.
- Keep your arms and head inside the bus at all time
- Only get off the bus at your assigned spot.
- Do not walk behind the school bus or attempt to pick something from under the bus
- Teach your child not to accept rides from strangers or anyone they don’t already know and trust.
- If your child walks to school, let him/her walk with a sibling or friend whenever possible.
- If your child has some specific medical conditions, make sure the teacher is aware and has the medication he/she needs in case of an emergency.
- Educate your children about bullying – how to identify bullies and what to do if they or anyone they know is being bullied.
- Ensure your children know how to protect their bodies, understand the part of their bodies that are private and what a bad touch is and how to prevent it.
9. Remind your children about online safety, what information is safe to share online and what they shouldn’t do while online.
At 9iakids, we have a number of games that can educate and test your child’s knowledge about general safety tips. Play our Bullying. Protecting Your Body and Safety 101 games to learn more about road safety, fire safety, online safety, protecting their bodies and bullying. Lets keep our children safe this school year.