“Mummy, when are we going back to real school?” My son was tired of online learning. Mummy too was tired and stressed out with the new challenges of online learning and remote working.
Life during the COVID-19 pandemic was difficult for parents and children alike. The return to school is an important and hopefully welcome step. While we plan to return to a physical school, we also need to plan for possible online/remote learning.
The lessons learnt from a full term of online classes showed us that a lot of schools were not ready for online learning. Looking forward, what is more, important is how do we learn from the mistakes made to roll out a better online learning model.
After observing what worked and what did not, I have come up with a list of 13 tips for successful online learning.
Here are some online school guidelines:
1. Keep it simple.
2. Same time same place for lessons
3. Have rules, reinforce daily especially for younger children.
4. Link everything – include all relevant links to lesson notes, worksheets, meeting links
5. Always summarize key learning before end of class.
6. Reward positive behaviours.
7. Ensure regular breaks.
8. Motivate students.
9. Have multiple means of presenting a lesson/topic.
10. Have multiple means of student engagement and assignment- worksheets, games, drawings, writings, etc.
11. Ask students and their parents for feedback regularly.
12. Share learning among teachers (what is working and what is NOT).
13. Incorporate dedicated time for social interactions among students and teachers.
9ijakids can help with providing resources for motivating and engaging student online through our educational games. Our educational games can be used as an ice breaker at the beginning of the lesson, energy booster mid-way during class or post-lesson assessment. It can also be used a homework resource.
Sign up for 9ijakids #LearnFromHome campaign to enjoy ONE MONTH FREE access to fun learning educational games. Click here https://bit.ly/9ijakidsLearnFromHome
Have you gotten feedback from your parents about last term online learning?
Click to download our Online Learning Survey Questionnaire Guide. And don’t forget to sign up for our FREE one-month access https://bit.ly/9ijakidsLearnFromHome