Discipline is the foundation upon which all success is built. Lack of discipline inevitably leads to failure. ~ John Rohn ~
We might not generally agree on various methods for discipline but I think we can all agree on the fact that discipline is important. Discipline is vital for healthy child development.
Discipline should not mean only punishing a child for doing something wrong but about setting clear parameters and consequences for breaking rules so that they learn how to discipline themselves. So before you discipline, a key pre-requisite is to set clear expectations and parameters.
Whatever method you use to discipline your child, here are some 10 important things you must know:
- Always listen to them before you discipline Always find out from them what happened before you discipline
- Let them know why exactly they are being disciplined
- Never discipline in anger
- Let the discipline be proportionate to the wrong
- From age 0-10, do less reasoning and more discipline
- For ages 10 and above, do more of reasoning and less of forceful discipline
- Always follow through with discipline – don’t make empty threats.
- Dont send conflicting signals – be consistent
- Encourage and embrace after the discipline.
- Finally let your actions and behaviour reflect what you expect from them.